Wounds from injury or surgery can occasionally leave visible and disfiguring scars.
Though impossible to completely eliminate, scar revision performed by our board-certified plastic surgeon can often significantly improve the appearance of scars, making them less noticeable.
What are my options?
Surgical Scar Revision
The scar is directly cut out and the surrounding normal skin is brought together, leaving a thin and much less obvious scar.
Often best for deep acne scars, this method cuts or “punches” out the depressed scar.
A new plug of skin taken from behind the earlobe is then inserted in its place.
The new scar is less obvious and appears smoother and flatter.
An injectable hyaluronic acid dermal filler is used to fill in depressed scars.
This is a very effective treatment that can last 8-12 months.
It has essentially no downtime and patients can return to work or regular activity immediately.
Fat grafting can occasionally be used in place of dermal filler to improve the contour and skin quality of depressed scars.
Fat is typically harvested from the abdomen or flanks (love handles). It is then purified and injected into the defect.
Scar Revision Calgary
What can scar revision do?
- Decrease the size of a scar
- Raise depressed, indented scars
- Lower elevated scars
- Narrow the width of a scar
- Most revised scars become fine lines and fade with time
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
Before the Procedure
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jonathan Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your scar.
He will determine if you are a good candidate for scar revision and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals.
Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
Rarely do patients experience any excessive swelling or bruising following facial filler injections.
However, two weeks prior to treatment, you are advised to avoid taking drugs that can increase bruising and swelling. These include: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements such as Gingko, Ginseng and Cold-FX®.
- Most scar revisions can be performed under a local anesthetic (freezing alone)
- The time taken for the procedure is variable depending on the extent of the scarring.
- No two scars are alike and everyone’s treatment is tailored to their specific needs.
- Patients can usually return to their normal daily activities immediately after treatment if only dermal filler was used.
- Patients that have undergone surgery will usually take 1 to 2 weeks off work depending on the extent of the procedure.
- Detailed written aftercare instruction are always provided.
- Dr. Lee will typically see you 2 weeks following your surgery and start you on a comprehensive post-surgical scar care program.