Non-surgical cosmetic treatments including dermal fillers are becoming increasingly popular alternatives to surgery in Calgary.
Many dermal fillers, such as EMERVEL® and JUVÉDERM®, are gels made of hyaluronic acid – a sugar which is naturally produced by the body.
These fillers are injected under the skin to instantly smooth lines and wrinkles, improve volume, and restore a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance to the face.
The process is relatively painless and patients have little to no downtime.
Candidates for facial fillers have:
- Early-to-moderate signs of facial aging
- Lines or wrinkles around your forehead, eyes, nose and mouth
- Lost volume in your temples, cheeks, jawline or lips
- Early jowling
- Scars or depressions in the skin from acne or injury
- Facial asymmetry
- Bumpy nose profile
- Dark shadows under your eyes with deep grooves
Dermal Fillers Calgary
How are facial filler injections performed?
- Depending on how many areas are being treated, the procedure will typically last between 20 to 30 minutes
- A facial numbing cream is applied and injections are performed with ultra-fine needles or cannulas (fine tubes). All fillers also contain the freezing agent lidocaine, minimizing any discomfort during the procedure.
- The filler is placed into select areas in your face to enhance volume and create a beautiful and natural looking result. Our experienced plastic surgeon will select the most appropriate filler for your particular facial features and desired results.
- No two faces are alike and everyone’s treatment is tailored to their specific needs. The experience of the injector is essential to attaining the best results possible.
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
What filler to use?
The right filler for any given patient will depend on a number of factors including the area being treated and cosmetic goals.
Patients can be confident that Dr. Lee will select the best filler for their specific and unique facial features.
We offer a variety of fillers including options such as Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane-L, Emervel, Sculptra, Belotero, Radiesse and Teosyal.
Before the Procedure
During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your face, including proportions and balance.
He will determine if you are a good candidate for facial fillers and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals.
Dr. Lee may also suggest other possible combined treatments, such as BOTOX® and Dypsort® injections, which can further enhance your result.
Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
Dr. Lee always encourages his patients to bring in photos of how they looked when they were younger. This often helps in the discussion and visualization of the target goals.
Rarely do patients experience any excessive swelling or bruising following facial filler injections.
However, two weeks prior to treatment, you are advised to avoid taking drugs that can increase bruising and swelling. These include Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements such as Gingko, Ginseng and Cold-FX®.
If you have a history of cold sores, please let us know.
Prior to your treatment, Dr. Lee will prescribe you a medication that lowers the risk of the cold sore virus being triggered by injections.
Dr. Lee recommends that any filler treatment should be performed at least 10 days prior to any major function or media event due to the slight risk of bruising and swelling.
The procedure usually takes 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how many areas are being treated.
Patients can usually return to their normal daily activities immediately after treatment.
Detailed written aftercare instruction are always provided
The longevity of the result depends on the type of filler used.
On average, most hyaluronic acid-based fillers will last about 8-12 months.
Products such as Sculptra® and Radiesse® have collagen building activity that may extend the results up to 1-2 years.
Maintaining your result should involve a healthy lifestyle and skin care regimen in addition to smaller touch-up procedures with facial fillers and BOTOX®/Dysport® injections several times per year as needed.
Why Dr. Lee?
Dr. Lee is a highly experienced, Royal College-certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience providing injectable treatments.
He has a strong passion for the use of facial fillers and he is frequently invited both locally and nationally to instruct nurses, physicians, and other specialists on advanced injection techniques.