Facial wrinkles are one of the hallmark features of facial aging. A very popular solution to decreasing the appearance of wrinkles is the injection of what’s called a neuromodulator branded as either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport®.
BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® are two brand names of a substance that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. In very small and dilute amounts, this toxin can be injected directly into certain muscles. This causes controlled weakening in those muscles, which in turn smooths the appearance of lines and wrinkles in the skin. These injections have been used safely for many years, and are an extremely popular choice for both women and men who desire fewer wrinkles and want to retain a more youthful, and softer look even into their later years.
Good Candidates For BOTOX® Cosmetic & Dysport®
If you have heard about the injectable treatments of BOTOX and Dysport, you might be wondering whether they could be a good choice for you.
A good candidate for this simple procedure would be someone who is in good health looking to prevent or reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Most people notice them first around the eyes (also known as crow’s feet), lines in the forehead, frown lines between the eyes or around the mouth, or even lipstick lines around the mouth. If you have seen some signs of lines or wrinkles, call Dr.Lee, Calgary’s most experienced BOTOX and Dysport specialist, to set up a consultation.
Men or women consider BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® when they begin to notice:
- Wrinkles around the eyes (more commonly known as crow’s feet)
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines between the eyes giving a tired, angry or sad appearance
How do these injections work?
BOTOX® and Dysport® are made up of a highly purified protein called botulinum that is administered in small injections in specific muscles.
Nerves normally send signals to the muscles all over the body, causing them to tighten. In the face, the tightening can create wrinkles and lines. Facial wrinkles are most frequently seen as forehead creases, crow’s-feet around the eyes, and frown lines between the brows.
Both BOTOX® and Dysport® injections essentially create the same result and work by blocking these signals, making it so the injected muscle can no longer contract. Once the muscle has been paralyzed, the wrinkles soften and relax. Once injected, the BOTOX does not migrate to other areas of the body.
Who should not have these Injections?
Anyone who is either pregnant, or breastfeeding should not use Botulinum Toxin. Furthermore, anyone who has any type of neurological disease or infection of the face should also refrain from these injections.
The First Step
- During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your face, including proportions and balance. He will determine if you are a good candidate for Botulinum Toxin and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals.
- Dr. Lee may also suggest other possible combined treatments, such as dermal fillers, which can further enhance your result. Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
- Dr. Lee always encourages his patients to bring in photos of how they looked when they were younger. This often helps in the discussion and visualization of the target goals.
- Rarely do patients experience any significant bruising following Botulinum Toxin injections. However, two weeks prior to treatment, you are advised to avoid taking drugs that can increase bruising. These include: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements such as Gingko, Ginseng and Cold-FX®.
- Dr. Lee recommends that any Botulinum Toxin treatment be performed at least 10 days prior to any major function or media event. This will ensure that the desired effects are present.
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
- Frozen faces are a thing of the past – The aim is to create subtle changes that look natural and make you appear refreshed and well-rested.
- Getting an injection of either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will take just a few minutes, and can often be done at the same time as your initial appointment.
- Injections are relatively painless as Dr. Lee uses an ultra-fine needle.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® is placed into select muscles in your face in order to create a soft and natural looking result. Dr. Lee will select the most appropriate dosage and location of treatment for your particular facial features and desired results.
- No two faces area alike and everyone’s treatment is tailored to their specific needs. The experience of the injector is essential to attaining the best results possible.
- Patients can go home immediately following the injections and the results are usually present in 3 to 7 days.
How Long Will The Effect Last?
On average, the effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will last about four months. Lines and wrinkles begin to gradually appear, as muscle action returns. For this reason, the treatment needs to be repeated about 3 times per year in order to maintain the results.
Why Choose Dr. Lee?
Dr. Lee is a highly experienced, Royal College-certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience providing injectable treatments. He has a strong passion for the use of facial fillers and neuromodulators and he is frequently invited both locally and nationally to instruct nurses, physicians, and other specialists on advanced injection techniques.
How are BOTOX and Dysport Administered?
The procedure will begin with a topic anaesthetic cream to help numb your skin from the sensation of a needle poke. With a very small needle, Dr. Lee will inject BOTOX® or Dysport® into the targeted muscle in the face, jaw, or neck. The entire procedure will only take a few minutes.
In what areas of the face can BOTOX® and Dysport® be used?
BOTOX® and Dysport® can be used in many different areas around the face, neck, and jawline, including around the eyes, mouth, eyebrows, and the forehead, or anywhere that there are concerns of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Crow’s Feet: One of the most common places to receive injections, the wrinkles around the eyes are caused by facial expression and movement, so they happen to most people. The injections will help the muscles around the eyes relax, reducing the appearance of crinkling around your eyes.
- Lipstick Lines: The fine lines that appear around the mouth, known as lipstick lines, can severely age even the youngest people, the most noticeable being the upper lip. A common concern of smokers, these wrinkles can be reduced or eliminated with BOTOX® and Dysport®.
- Eyebrows: The eyebrows are another area that is heavily targeted by making facial expressions. Anything from smiling to frowning can create the lines around and between your eyebrows that can often make people look angry. The injections can reduce the appearance of these lines and depending on the severity, can dramatically alter your facial appearance.
- Forehead: Forehead lines, known as surprise lines, can age even the youngest people. Getting rid of the lines in your forehead will give you a smoother appearance, lifting years off of your face and leave you with a natural looking and smooth forehead.
How long does it take to see results?
While we all prefer immediate results, with BOTOX® and Dysport® that is simply not always going to be the case. The first results should be noticeable within the first 72 hours as the muscles begin to relax in the injected area. It can take up to a week to notice the full effects, once the muscles have had a chance to rest and the skin smoothens out.
BOTOX Results and Recovery
The results of the injections should show up for you within the first week of treatment. For most people, the results are visible for four to six months, depending on the individual. Over time, the injected muscles will slowly regain their ability to contract and wrinkle again and then it is time for another treatment.
For many patients, the procedure is so quick and with few adverse side effects that it can be performed on a lunch break. You can return to your regular daily activities immediately after the procedure, though avoid lying down for four hours following the procedure.
How many units of BOTOX do I need?
Since every patient is unique, there is no quick answer for how many units you might need for your individual needs. It has several different variables that affect how many units of BOTOX you will receive at your visit. The variables include how strong the muscles are, where they are at, as well as the size of the muscle. It can also vary between men and women. There is a general range for some muscle groups to give you a very rough idea, with the understanding that everyone is different.
- Crow’s Feet: For the fine lines around your eyes, the average is around 15 units of BOTOX.
- Forehead: The lines in the forehead usually take about 20 units to complete the procedure.
- Frown Lines: The lines that rest between your eyes can take anywhere from 20 to 35 units.
The amount of BOTOX you will need might not resemble the examples, but our Calgary BOTOX specialist will ensure that you get the perfect amount for your needs.
BOTOX vs. Dysport: What’s the difference?
BOTOX and Dysport are often used interchangeably to describe the injection that helps reduce wrinkles, but the two are not the same medication. The medicines themselves are very similar, with both using the botulinum type A to relax the facial muscles. They are both used to complete the same job. Most of the differences have been disputed as they are essentially the same thing. There have been some reports that Dysport has a quicker onset than BOTOX does, but it also has a higher diffusion rate. That means that Dysport has been reported to spread to a wider area, making it not quite as fine as BOTOX in some regard.
Still Not Sure?
If you have some concerns as to which medication would be right for you, Dr. Lee at the Calgary Institute of Plastic Surgery will be able to provide you with insight for your individual needs. As one of the most experienced BOTOX and Dysport injection specialists in all of Calgary, Dr. Lee will work with you to make the perfect plan to meet your needs.
Is BOTOX safe?
To put it simply: BOTOX is perfectly safe as long as it is performed by a licensed professional and the patient is in good health. Like any medical procedure, BOTOZ has some potential risks and complications, but they are extremely rare. While BOTOX is made up of a neurotoxin, the amount given to a patient’s muscles is so small that it does not have an adverse effect. The amount of risks associated with the procedure is minimal, but the results are amazing.
Is the treatment painful?
At your procedure appointment, a topical anaesthetic will be applied to the area where the injection will go. This is to help dull the sting of the needle and make the procedure minimally painful. Receiving the injection itself is not painful. The most painful part is the needle poke.
Are there any side effects?
There are some side effects associated with BOTOX, though they are all minor. Dr. Lee will go over all of the risks of the procedure with you at your consultation.
Some of the most common side effects include:
- Bruising and swelling at the injection site
- Redness at the injection site
- Tender face
While these are common side effects, none of them last very long and you can go on your business like normal.
What should I do after my BOTOX treatment?
After you have had your BOTOX treatment, you can return to your daily routine. You will need to avoid lying down or rubbing the area following the procedure to make sure that medicine stays where it was injected. You can use an ice pack at the injection site if you notice any swelling.