Facial wrinkles are one of the hallmark features of facial aging. A very popular solution to decreasing the appearance of wrinkles is the injection of what’s called a neuromodulator branded as either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport®.
BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® are two brand names of a substance that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. In very small and dilute amounts, this toxin can be injected directly into certain muscles. This causes controlled weakening in those muscles, which in turn smooths the appearance of lines and wrinkles in the skin. These injections have been used safely for many years, and are an extremely popular choice for both women and men who desire fewer wrinkles and want to retain a more youthful, and softer look even into their later years.
Good Candidates For BOTOX® Cosmetic & Dysport®
Whether you already have facial wrinkles or you are looking to prevent them in the first place, there is no set age that people decide to get these injections. Men or women consider BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® when they begin to notice:
- Wrinkles around the eyes (more commonly known as crow’s feet)
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines between the eyes giving a tired, angry or sad appearance
How do these injections work?
Nerves normally send signals to muscles, causing them to tighten up which creates wrinkles. Facial wrinkles are most frequently seen as forehead creases, crow’s-feet around the eyes, and frown lines between the brows. Both BOTOX® and Dysport® injections essentially create the same result and work by blocking these signals, making the wrinkles soften and relax.
Who should not have these Injections?
Anyone who is either pregnant, or breastfeeding should not use Botulinum Toxin. Furthermore, anyone who has any type of neurological disease or infection of the face should also refrain from these injections.
The First Step
- During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your face, including proportions and balance. He will determine if you are a good candidate for Botulinum Toxin and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals.
- Dr. Lee may also suggest other possible combined treatments, such as dermal fillers, which can further enhance your result. Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
- Dr. Lee always encourages his patients to bring in photos of how they looked when they were younger. This often helps in the discussion and visualization of the target goals.
- Rarely do patients experience any significant bruising following Botulinum Toxin injections. However, two weeks prior to treatment, you are advised to avoid taking drugs that can increase bruising. These include: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements such as Gingko, Ginseng and Cold-FX®.
- Dr. Lee recommends that any Botulinum Toxin treatment be performed at least 10 days prior to any major function or media event. This will ensure that the desired effects are present.
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
- Frozen faces are a thing of the past – The aim is to create subtle changes that look natural and make you appear refreshed and well-rested.
- Getting an injection of either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will take just a few minutes, and can often be done at the same time as your initial appointment.
- Injections are relatively painless as Dr. Lee uses an ultra-fine needle.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® is placed into select muscles in your face in order to create a soft and natural looking result. Dr. Lee will select the most appropriate dosage and location of treatment for your particular facial features and desired results.
- No two faces area alike and everyone’s treatment is tailored to their specific needs. The experience of the injector is essential to attaining the best results possible.
- Patients can go home immediately following the injections and the results are usually present in 3 to 7 days.
How Long Will The Effect Last?
On average, the effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will last about four months. Lines and wrinkles begin to gradually appear, as muscle action returns. For this reason, the treatment needs to be repeated about 3 times per year in order to maintain the results.
Why Choose Dr. Lee?
Dr. Lee is a highly experienced, Royal College-certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience providing injectable treatments. He has a strong passion for the use of facial fillers and neuromodulators and he is frequently invited both locally and nationally to instruct nurses, physicians, and other specialists on advanced injection techniques.