Facial wrinkles are one of the hallmark features of facial ageing.
A very popular solution to decreasing the appearance of wrinkles is the injection of what’s called a neuromodulator branded as either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport®.
BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® are two brand names of a substance that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.
In very small and dilute amounts, this toxin can be injected directly into certain muscles.
This causes a controlled weakening in those muscles, which in turn smooths the appearance of lines and wrinkles in the skin.
These injections have been used safely for many years, and are an extremely popular choice for both women and men who desire fewer wrinkles and want to retain a more youthful, and softer look even into their later years.
Good Candidates For BOTOX® Cosmetic & Dysport®
If you have heard about the injectable treatments of BOTOX and Dysport, you might be wondering whether they could be a good choice for you.
A good candidate for this simple procedure would be someone who is in good health looking to prevent or reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Most people notice them first around the eyes (also known as crow’s feet), lines in the forehead, frown lines between the eyes or around the mouth, or even lipstick lines around the mouth.
If you have seen some signs of lines or wrinkles, call Dr. Lee, Calgary’s most experienced BOTOX and Dysport specialist, to set up a consultation.
Men or women consider BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® when they begin to notice:
- Wrinkles around the eyes (more commonly known as crow’s feet)
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines between the eyes giving a tired, angry or sad appearance
Who should NOT have these injections?
Anyone who is either pregnant or breastfeeding should not use Botulinum Toxin.
Furthermore, anyone who has any type of neurological disease or infection of the face should also refrain from these injections.
Botox & Dysport Calgary
How do these injections work?
BOTOX® and Dysport® are made up of a highly purified protein called botulinum that is administered in small injections in specific muscles.
Nerves normally send signals to the muscles all over the body, causing them to tighten. In the face, the tightening can create wrinkles and lines.
Facial wrinkles are most frequently seen as forehead creases, crow’s feet around the eyes, and frown lines between the brows.
Both BOTOX® and Dysport® injections essentially create the same result and work by blocking these signals, making it so the injected muscle can no longer contract.
Once the muscle has been paralyzed, the wrinkles soften and relax. Once injected, the BOTOX does not migrate to other areas of the body.
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
Botox Injection Calgary
What You Should Know
- Initial Consultation: During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your face, including proportions and balance. He will determine if you are a good candidate for Botulinum Toxin and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals.
- Recommendations: Dr. Lee may also suggest other possible combined treatments, such as dermal fillers, which can further enhance your result.
- Discussions & Visualization: Dr. Lee always encourages his patients to bring in photos of how they looked when they were younger. This often helps in the discussion and visualization of the target goals. Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
- Preparation: Rarely do patients experience any significant bruising following Botulinum Toxin injections. However, two weeks prior to treatment, you are advised to avoid taking drugs that can increase bruising. These include Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Vitamin E, and herbal supplements such as Gingko, Ginseng and Cold-FX®. Dr. Lee also recommends that any Botulinum Toxin treatment be performed at least 10 days prior to any major function or media event. This will ensure that the desired effects are present.
Why Choose Dr. Lee?
Dr. Lee is a highly experienced, Royal College-certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience providing injectable treatments, like BOTOX® and Dysport®
He has a strong passion for the use of facial fillers and neuromodulators and he is frequently invited both locally and nationally to instruct nurses, physicians, and other specialists on advanced injection techniques.
If you have some concerns as to which medication would be right for you, Dr. Lee at the Calgary Institute of Plastic Surgery will be able to provide you with insight for your individual needs.
As one of the most experienced BOTOX and Dysport injection specialists in all of Calgary, Dr. Lee will work with you to make the perfect plan to meet your needs.
Book A Consultation
- Frozen faces are a thing of the past – The aim is to create subtle changes that look natural and make you appear refreshed and well-rested.
- Getting an injection of either BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will take just a few minutes, and can often be done at the same time as your initial appointment.
- Injections are relatively painless as Dr. Lee uses an ultra-fine needle.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® is placed into select muscles in your face in order to create a soft and natural-looking result. Dr. Lee will select the most appropriate dosage and location of treatment for your particular facial features and desired results.
- No two faces are alike and everyone’s treatment is tailored to their specific needs. The experience of the injector is essential to attaining the best results possible.
- Patients can go home immediately following the injections and the results are usually present in 3 to 7 days.
After The Procedure
How Long Will The Effect Last?
On average, the effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® will last about four months. Lines and wrinkles begin to gradually appear, as muscle action returns.
For this reason, the treatment needs to be repeated about 3 times per year in order to maintain the results.
How are BOTOX and Dysport Administered?
The procedure will begin with a topic anesthetic cream to help numb your skin from the sensation of a needle poke.
With a very small needle, Dr. Lee will inject BOTOX® or Dysport® into the targeted muscle in the face, jaw, or neck. The entire procedure will only take a few minutes.
What should I do after my BOTOX treatment?
After you have had your BOTOX treatment, you can return to your daily routine. You will need to avoid lying down or rubbing the area following the procedure to make sure that medicine stays where it was injected. You can use an ice pack at the injection site if you notice any swelling.
BOTOX Results and Recovery
The results of the injections should show up for you within the first week of treatment. For most people, the results are visible for four to six months, depending on the individual. Over time, the injected muscles will slowly regain their ability to contract and wrinkle again and then it is time for another treatment.
For many patients, the procedure is so quick and with few adverse side effects that it can be performed on a lunch break. You can return to your regular daily activities immediately after the procedure, though avoid lying down for four hours following the procedure.
How many units of BOTOX do I need?
Since every patient is unique, there is no quick answer for how many units you might need for your individual needs. It has several different variables that affect how many units of BOTOX you will receive at your visit.
The variables include how strong the muscles are, where they are at, as well as the size of the muscle. It can also vary between men and women.
There is a general range for some muscle groups to give you a very rough idea, with the understanding that everyone is different.
- Crow’s Feet: For the fine lines around your eyes, the average is around 15 units of BOTOX.
- Forehead: The lines in the forehead usually take about 20 units to complete the procedure.
- Frown Lines: The lines that rest between your eyes can take anywhere from 20 to 35 units.
The amount of BOTOX you will need might not resemble the examples, but our Calgary BOTOX specialist will ensure that you get the perfect amount for your needs.