Liposuction is a very popular surgical procedure used by Calgary plastic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Lee to sculpt the body and eliminate unwanted pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. Often combined with other procedures to create a lean hour-glass figure, it is one of the most effective ways to achieve a more proportional and aesthetic appearance.
You may be a good candidate for liposuction if:
You have localized fat pockets that don’t improve with diet and exercise
You seek a sleeker contour and more definition to certain areas of your body
You want to make your clothes fit better and your body appear slimmer
You want to achieve a more proportionate appearance
You are at or near your ideal body weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle
You have good skin elasticity (Liposuction does not tighten skin or improve cellulite)
What are common areas for Liposuction?
- Abdomen and waist
- Flanks (love handles)
- Back rolls
- Thighs (inner + outer)
- Axilla (under armpit)
- Neck (double chin)
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
Liposuction is often used to enhance the following procedures:
Before the Surgery
During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will discuss your desired results and perform a thorough evaluation of your body shape, size, and proportions. He will determine if you are a good candidate for liposuction and make a recommendation tailored to your specific goals. He may also recommend combining your liposuction with other body contour-enhancing options. Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
Dr. Lee always encourages his patients to bring in photos of body shapes and sizes that they find attractive. This often helps in the discussion and visualization of the target goals.
How is liposuction performed?
- Liposuction is usually performed under a general anaesthetic and takes between 1 to 4 hours depending on how many areas are being treated.
- A solution containing lidocaine (freezing) and epinephrine is injected into the target areas in order to optimize results, ensure comfort, and minimize bruising and bleeding.
- Small incisions are used at discrete locations to insert a thin tube attached to suction (cannula).
- The cannula is used to both break up the fat and suction it away from the target areas.
- Dr. Lee frequently uses Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL) which involves attaching the cannula to a vibrating device to minimize trauma, improving both patient comfort and results.
- Dr. Lee’s uses SAFELipo®, a 3-step liposuction technique which maximizes contour smoothness by minimizing the chance of any contour irregularities such as lumps or dimples.
After the Surgery
- Most patients are able to return home two hours following the surgery.
- Most patients will experience some pain along the treated areas but this usually settles within several weeks. Dr. Lee will prescribe you a pain reliever to ensure your comfort. Most patients can return to work after 2 weeks but no strenuous activity or going to the gym is advised until the fourth week.
- A supportive compression garment is usually worn for the first three weeks following surgery in order to reduce swelling and aid in the healing process.
- Dr. Lee will typically see you one week following the surgery and any small stitches will be removed. Scarring is typically minimal as the incisions are tiny and well concealed. The next visits will be after 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 1 year.
Although most people will notice an improvement in their body contour immediately after surgery, swelling will often obscure the final result. Most of this swelling settles within 3 weeks but any residual swelling may continue to resolve over the course of three months or longer. In order to maintain the results of your surgery, Dr. Lee always recommends that you maintain a stable weight with a healthy diet and exercise routine both before and after your surgery.