The hands are one of the best indicators of a person’s age. Over time, hands are frequently exposed to harsh sun, cleaners, and the rigours of everyday life. Hand aging usually manifests as darkened age spots and the loss of volume on the back of the hand, giving a bony appearance. Despite one’s efforts to make their face look younger, wrinkled and hollow hands can still make a person look older.
Treatment Options for Hand Rejuvenation
Hand rejuvenation helps to restore a youthful and more vibrant appearance to the hands. Common treatments include:
For volume replacement to hollowed-out and bony-appearing hands:
– Quickly becoming the most common form of hand rejuvenation
– Results are predictable and visible immediately, lasting up to 18 months
– They are minimally invasive and require little to no downtime.
– Examples of injectable dermal fillers include Restylane®, Juvéderm®, and Radiesse®
– Also known as fat grafting or fat transfer, this procedure is typically performed under a local anaesthetic (freezing alone)
– Your own fat is harvested from unwanted donor sites using liposuction. These areas may include your abdomen, hips, thighs, or flanks (love handles)
– The collected fat is then purified and injected into your hands where there is volume loss
– Although the amount of fat that stays can be unpredictable, the results can be permanent.
– Fat also has a rejuvenating affect on the overlying skin in the hand.
For discoloration, wrinkles and spots:
Intense Pulse Light Treatment
This is used to remove age spots, red spots, black spots, dry skin and other unwanted pigment changes of the skin. This procedure does not require anesthesia, and causes only minor discomfort.
Before the Procedure
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jonathan Lee will perform a thorough evaluation of your hands including any skin changes and volume loss. If you are considering fat grafting, he will also assess possible donor sites for liposuction. Pre-treatment photos will be taken and any potential risks and complications will also be discussed.
During the Procedure
Hand rejuvenation through injectable fillers is a very simple and quick procedure. Because the procedure uses ultra-fine needles or tiny hollow tubes (cannulas) to inject, pain is minimal. Patients may return to work or resume regular activity immediately after the injection
Fat grating of the hands is slightly more involved as liposuction must also be performed to harvest the fat. However, pain and downtime are also minimal. There is also little to no scarring as small cannulas are used to inject the fat.
- Injectable fillers may last up to 18months.
- Fat grafting longevity can be unpredictable but may last longer and potentially forever.
- Patients may have the procedure repeated if they wish to.
- Avoiding sun exposure and using sun block can help prolong the results of a hand rejuvenation treatment.
Dr. Jonathan Lee (MD, FRCSC) is an experienced, Canadian and New York fellowship-trained Plastic Surgeon based in Calgary. Well-established, he is board certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
Preventing Aging of the Hands
To maintain a youthful appearance of your hands, consider the following daily tips:
- Moisturize your hands using cream or lotion
- Apply sun block to your hands when exposed to the sun (even during winter) to avoid dark spots and premature aging.
- Use gloves during winter to avoid your skin drying out.
- Always use gloves when doing household chores like washing the dishes and gardening.
- Use mild soap on your hands