What Exactly is Latisse®?
Latisse® has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and it is used to treat inadequate eyelashes in patients. Available only as a prescription treatment, it is a popular product and is available at the Calgary Institute of Plastic Surgery.
Will Latisse® Work for Me?
Latisse® is designed to work for most patients but treatment results will vary from person to person. Most patients report that their eyelashes increase in darkness, length, and thickness, resulting in a more dramatic and beautiful appearance of their eyes.
How is Latisse® Used?
- Latisse® is designed to be used on your upper eyelids and not on the bottom eyelids. You will apply the formula to your upper eyelids for a period of eight to ten weeks, but full results can take as long as 16 weeks.
- Latisse® can be used any time of the day or night, but most patients prefer to use it in the morning to prevent the product from rubbing off during sleep.
- To apply Latisse® to your eyelashes, it is recommended that you place a drop of Latisse® onto an eyeliner brush and then evenly brush the product across your eyelashes on the upper eyelid. Your eyelid should feel damp, but not be wet.
It is important to avoid using too much product, so you should start with a single drop and then add another drop if you believe your eyelids feel too dry. If you do use too much, make sure to wipe up any excess and do not let the formula drip into your eyes.
Side Effects of Using Latisse®
As with any cosmetic procedure or treatment, there are some risks. Although rare, they may include:
- Additional hair growth outside of the lashes
- Eye irritation
- Darkening of the eyelids
- Color change of your iris
Most of the side effects disappear when the product is not in use. In addition, once you stop using the product, your eyelashes will return back to their previous state. The treatment is not permanent.
How Long Do I Need to Keep Using the Product?
The decision is up to you, but we recommend that you continue to use the product on a regular basis to ensure that your lashes stay thick and full. Remember, full treatment is achieved in up to 16 weeks, but if you stop treatment completely, your lashes will return to their original state.
What to Expect at Your Consultation
During your consultation, Dr. Lee will assess your eyelashes and determine if Latisse is the right product for you. If you have glaucoma or other pressure conditions that affect your eyes, you may not be a good candidate.
Tips for Using Latisse®
As with any other treatments, it is important that you follow the directions and seek guidance from your plastic surgeon if you experience any problems or have questions.
- Tip 1: Set a Schedule – Latisse needs to be applied daily, so it helps to have a routine where you apply the formula at the same time every day.
- Tip 2: Don’t Double Dip – If you happen to miss a treatment one day, do not double apply Latisse® to your eyelashes. Simply pick up with your normal once-a-day application.
- Tip 2: Be Patient – While you may be excited to see the results, you must be patient. It is possible that you may not see your results until a month after treatment.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
If you are interested in Latisse, give our office a call today to schedule your consultation.
Explore the cosmetic possibilities